Shallow rising of a setting sun

Give me a taste of these things that I waste
Burn me up
Beyond recognition
Can’t find ruptures
Once the skin’s broken in

Last rapturous voice
Calling me from the grave
But I can’t settle
You woke me up
But test my mettle
And found it wanting

I’m still forming
Sky metal warming
Beat me to shape
My purpose is warring

But those days are past
Never was official
Just a man with a business card
And his hand out

Waking up to a reality I can’t know
Finding life amid the wreckage
But pieces stick
They’re vestige

A woken dreamer
Last memories spill across the page

12 thoughts on “Shallow rising of a setting sun

• Pelgris April 10, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Thank you, sometimes I don’t feel very amazing, so I appreciate it.

Liked by 1 person

• Pelgris April 10, 2017 / 4:37 pm

That means so much to me. I often think that my writing is mediocre. Knowing that you, someone whose words and work I respect, thinks of me this way is a bit mind blowing.

Liked by 1 person

• TheFeatheredSleep April 10, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Seriously? You’re SO far from mediocre I can’t believe that! Never! Not remotely. You’re so talented that is not mediocre remotely I swear it

Liked by 1 person

• Pelgris April 10, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Yeah, seriously. I wrote 4 poems today and I thought only one was even marginally good. The one you commented on. I listen to poetry and read other poets and my words don’t flow like that, don’t produce imagery like that. I have always seen my writing as minimalist and I hope it touches people but I don’t expect it to. I believe you, I just have a seriously hard time accepting it.

Liked by 1 person

• TheFeatheredSleep April 10, 2017 / 6:33 pm

I understand I feel the same. Most writers aren’t prodigious quantities are not as important as quality, one good book, one good poem. Many more than so many we consider good. Keep writing always, never stop, this is your calling I love your work

Liked by 1 person

• Pelgris April 10, 2017 / 6:35 pm

From my heart, thank you. I need to stop crying and drive home now. Thank you so much 😊😢

Liked by 1 person

• Pelgris April 10, 2017 / 6:45 pm

*hugs* there really aren’t that many people who say that to me in a way that makes me believe it. And since I identify as a poet, it’s profound and hits me hard. Sorry to keep stating it. If you could see me, you’d see I look wrecked. Thank you my friend.